How To Check Transmission Fluid: Having little or no information about your car can be stressful. Most people don’t have the basic information one requires in maintaining your car or how to interpret various behaviors. Case example, shifting of your transmission gear. Before you decide to service your car, having a mechanic adjust your transmission or purchasing a new one, you should probably have a look at your transmission fluid level especially because a faulty transmission and one that is fully functional but has low levels have the same symptoms.
how to check transmission fluid without dipstick
Below are the steps that should guide you:
- Read your user’s manual. Different models come with different instructions. This should be your first step before proceeding to check your fluid. Manual transmissions don’t have dipsticks so there will be need to change the transmission completely in case of a fault. Consult a professional in this case.
- Ensure that your gearshift is in parking or neutral. Let your engine run for a while before you proceed.
- Using a dipstick check the fluid by dipping it into the transmission. For front wheel cars the dipstick is found on the right side of your transmission (the side facing the driver) sticking out of the transaxle while in rear wheel ones, it is found near the back of the engine on the passenger’s side.
- Once you remove the dipstick, use a material that is lint-free to wipe the liquid off then reinsert it and pull it out again.
- Check the fluid level on the dipstick. If it is hasn’t reached the “full” line, carefully add more; but just enough to reach the line. Please note that adding the transmission fluid is very easy but once you exceed the line, removing it can be a challenge hence, use a funnel and add it little by little while checking the levels.
how to check transmission fluid manual
Note: Please check your user manual in order to know which transmission fluid your vehicle requires as there are different types of transmission fluids being manufactured.
There are new models of transmissions that are more complex than the old ones since they don’t have dipsticks. This therefore demands for special measures and procedures to check the transmission fluid levels because they are very critical. Such models include Toyotas, Fords General Motors and others.
how to check transmission fluid condition
Check your transmission fluid in order for your vehicle will run smoothly. Do this preferably after 30000-60000 miles range or follow the manufacturer’s instructions on your manual.
how to check transmission fluid Honda accord
Color can help you too in knowing the condition of your transmission fluid. New fluid in an automatic vehicle should have a cherry red color or light brown that is almost transparent. The red color is only added to the fluid in order to make it more visible and easy to identify.
If your fluid has a dark red or dark brown color, then it’s best advised that you get it looked at and changed by a professional mechanic. Fluids that have a burnt smell or metallic particles are a clear indication that your transmission won’t last.